About Me

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States

Sunday, January 18, 2009

This weekend

This weekend, Hannah Maier came up for a visit from Sandy, OR. We had a very nice time!!!

On Friday we hung around the house for a long time and made cupcakes.
Specifically, we made Lemon Poppyseed Butterfly Cupcakes, AKA Fairy Cakes, from the book Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans. They were recieved with rave reviews and I'm sure Ms. Maier will be posting pictures soon on her blag.
That night we went to the reopening of the Olympia Library which had been closed for a couple of months for some minor remodeling(including new paint, carpets, and desks). Kimya Dawson played songs and the children ran around barefoot in the aisles. 
Then we came home and watched "Burn After Reading". 
Saturday Ben, Katherine, and Peter had "band" practice and then Katherine and Peter announced that they were going to McDonald's and I decided we should all go to McDonald's and it became a McDonald's party(Katherine, Peter, Hannah, Ben, and I). While we sat there eating our tortured animal meals Ben spotted Alex and his brother, Ryan walking by! I ran outside and gathered them up and we all sat and chatted for a while. 
Then Ben, Hannah, and I drove to the Co-op because Hannah had never been in the two years she lived here. We got some nom noms including carrots, organic sugar, and milk. Then we went home and Hannah and I made mozzarella that was mostly successful, then put that mozzarella into a quiche with cheddar, spinach, and multi-colored carrots. People arrived for a little party get-together and we played a bunch of Mario Kart 64 and ate quiche and pizza. We watched a movie called "Shoot 'Em Up" which is one of the stupidest movies I've seen but also pretty entertaining. 
Then Hannah and I made Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies that we cut out in the shape of dinosaurs with the cookie cutters I got her for Christmas. Such fun.
Later after several people had gone home we watched "Tekkon Kinkreet" which I didn't love, but several others liked very much.
Today Ben and I woke up quite late as we'd managed to stay up until 5 the night before. Of course Hannah had been up for hours as that is her way. We decided to go out for some lunch and ended up at Nonna Rosa's Tea Room on 5th, just down from the Capitol Theatre, Darby's, etc. We had afternoon tea and it was really nice, I really recommend that place. There were tiny cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches and crackers with egg salad and really yummy tea with honey and cream. We sat there for a good hour I'd say, chatting and munching happily. I kept thinking it wouldn't be enough food because I'm used to being served huge portions that I gobble up, but I found that eating slowly and in little bites I got really pleasantly full. Then we drove to Cost Plus because Ben needed to replace a chipped cup that belonged to Jenny and we spent a long time there wandering around and found some things on sale and had a nice time. Then home so Hannah could pack and leave us. Alas. 


Lemon Poppy Seed Butterfly Cupcakes can be found in Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans.
Carrot and Spinach Quiche was adapted from "Juno's Summer Quiche" with whole wheat crust in Witch in the Kitchen by Cait Johnson
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are from AllRecipes.com and can be found here.

No comments: